Registration is open
for the NADE 2017 Conference!
Winds of Change
March 1–4, 2017
Oklahoma City, OK
Welcome to NADE!
NADE is a professional organization that includes faculty and learning support professionals from across the United States. Considering the rapid changes taking place in developmental education today, it is more important than ever for educators to network, to share ideas that will enhance student success, and to be involved with a professional network that can serve as an essential resource. NADE seeks to improve the theory and practice of developmental education at all levels of the educational spectrum, the professional capabilities of developmental educators, and the design of programs.
The organization focuses on the academic success of students by providing professional development for faculty and support professionals, supporting student learning, providing public leadership, disseminating exemplary models of practice, coordinating efforts with other organizations, facilitating communication among developmental education professionals, and providing a proven voice in the current higher education narrative.
Win a trip to SCOTLAND!
Raffle tickets for $10 will be sold at the NADE 2017 Conference.
Attend the FACE Conference (Forum for Access and Continuing Education) with members of the NADE Executive Board in late June 2017.
Cash or check only for raffle tickets.
Winner must follow travel guidelines to be shared later.
The Nade Digest
...is one of the many benefits of being a NADE member! Take the opportunity to learn from your colleagues. The Digest will inform and will broaden your understanding and practice of teaching and learning in developmental education through articles regarding innovative approaches, best practices, and discussions of practical current topics.
A shout-out to Schoolcraft College’s Duplication and Design Center for the new format! The NADE Digest Editor is Dr. Naomi Ludman.
IN THIS ISSUE
- SOARing to New Heights with Underprepared Students 2
- Reimagining and Expanding Accelerated Learning at a Midwestern Minority-Serving Institution 10
- Embedded Remediation: A New Paradigm 22
- Academic English and Language-Related Technology 28
- Take a Breath: Yoga and Meditation in the Developmental Classroom 35
- Students Dread the “P” Word: Is Turnitin® Good for Plagiarism Detection and Feedback? 39
- A Positive Approach to Good Grammar 42
- Retention and Relevance for CTE-Focused Students through Problem-Based Learning 47
NADE Membership Advantages. Get Involved!
By becoming a member of NADE, you will be part of a vibrant community of professionals who have a passion for students and for working to provide meaningful, relevant coursework and support services. NADE members are leaders in developmental education who are committed to quality academic programming and research. Become a member today and enjoy the following benefits:
- State chapters that offer a local network and conferences (Visit nade.net/chapters.html to learn more.)
- Committee opportunities at the state and national levels
- Special Interest Networks
- Jobs clearinghouse
- Publication/presentation opportunities in newsletters, peer reviewed journals and at conferences
- Active social network (Join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and our blog.)
- Grants and scholarship opportunities
- Conferences and workshops at a national and regional levels
- Leadership opportunities at the state and national levels
Connect with NADE Social Media
NADE Digest, Fall – 2016
“The New (Old) NADE”
- A Position Paper by the Executive Board on the State of the Association
Chronicle of Higher Education
- Remedial Educators Warn of
Misconceptions Fueling a Reform Movement
NADE Executive Board comment on the Higher Education Reauthorization Act
Journal of Developmental Education Outstanding Articles:
- Addressing Flawed Research in
- Effective Student Assessment and Placement: Challenges and Recommendations
The College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) is pleased to announce that our second white paper, Assessment of Learning Assistance Programs is now available online for free download.
The Terrain of College Reading (CRLA Whitepaper)
A Common Framework for Remedial Reporting: Response to Remedial Reporting Task Force Recommendations. Download PDF.
A Cure for Remedial Reporting Chaos: Why the U.S. Needs a Standard Method for Measuring Preparedness for the First Year of College. Download PDF
Previous postings are here.
Be Sure to Check Out
Donate to NADE. Help NADE continue its good work on behalf of developmental students. NADE is on the IRS list, "Exempt Organizations Select Check," as "eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions." Make your donation here. Thank you!
Certification. The program components eligible for certification are Tutoring Services, Course-based Learning Assistance, and Developmental Coursework. Learn more...