Political Liaison CommitteeNADE's Political Liaison Committee is a good place to start when exploring political advocacy. The Committee serves as a clearinghouse of information among the NADE chapter political liaisons, identifies key issues on the state and national level, and oversees the NADE political liaison newsletter (The Liaison). Contact the Committee Chair for more information:
Madisonville Community College
2000 College Drive
Madisonville, KY 42431
- Lessons in Developmental Education--currently unavailable
WEBSITES--be sure to check your state's higher ed website, too!
- National Center for Developmental Education (NCDE)
- What Works: A Guide to Research-Based Best Practices in Developmental Education by Hunter R. Boylan, Ph.D. A Joint Project of the Continuous Quality Improvement Network and the National Center for Developmental Education (2002)
- National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
- APQC Institute for Education Best Practices
- American Association of Community Colleges (AACC)
- American Association for Higher Education (AAHE)
- National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education
- State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO)
- National Conference of State Legislators (NCSL)
"HOW TO" MATERIALS
- "Political Advocacy: A Guide for Educators" prepared by CRLA.[pdf]
- "Reducing Remedial Education: What Progress Are States Making?" (2000) [word]
- "Developmental Education: A Twenty-First Century Social and Economic Imperative," By Robert McCabe and Philip Day.
- "College Remediation: What It Is, What It Costs, What's at Stake," by the Institute for Higher Education Policy (1998) [pdf]
- "Making the Case for Developmental Education," by Hunter Boylan [pdf]
- "The Scope of Developmental Education," by Hunter Boylan [pdf]
- "Remedial Education and Civic Responsibility," by Alexander W. Austin (1998) [html]
- "The Kiss of Death? An Alternative View of College Remediation," by Clifford Adelman (1998)
- "An Interview: Robert McCabe," by Patrick Callan (2000) [html]
- "Keeping the Promise: Remedial Education Revisited," by John E. Roueche and S. D. Roueche (1999)
- "Remedial Education in Colleges and Universities: What's Really Going On?," by Jaime P. Merisotis and Ronald A. Phipps. Review of Higher Education 24 (1), 67-86 (2000)
- "Developmental Education: Demographics, Outcomes, and Activities," by Hunter R. Boylan (1999) [html]
- "Atwell on Remediation," by Robert Atwell (1996)
- "Rethinking Academic 'Excellence'," by Alexander W. Austin. Liberal Education (Spring 1999)
- "Remedial Education: Costs and Consequences, " by David W. Breneman and William N. Haarlow , with Commentaries by Costrell, Ponitz, and Steinburg (1998)
- "State Remediation Policies for the 21st Century Learning Society," by Milton "Bunk" Spann with the NCDE (1998)
- "Statewide Remedial Education Policies," by Edward Crowe. Available for purchase for $8 from the SHEEO website (1998)
- "Exploring Alternatives to Remediation," by Hunter Boylan (1999) [html]
- "Myths Surrounding Developmental Education." Jim Melko, former NADE Political Liaison Co-Chair, lists some of the common myths surrounding developmental education and provides a response to them. [pdf]
- "Use of Pell Grants for Developmental Education Courses." The U.S. Government Accounting Office published a report in August 1997 concerning the use of Pell Grants to pay for tuition costs of developmental education courses. Some congressional leaders advocate banning the use of federal financial aid for developmental education. The GAO report reports that less than 4 percent of aid is used for such courses. [pdf]
- "Remedial Education at Higher Education Institutions in Fall 2000"
- Yes We Can: A Community College Guide for Developing America's Underprepared
- What Works: A Guide to Research-Based Best Practices in Developmental Education by Hunter R. Boylan, Ph.D. A Joint Project of the Continuous Quality Improvement Network and the National Center for Developmental Education (2002) [html]
- Selected Models of Developmental Education Programs in Higher Education. By V.L. Farmer and W.A. Barham. Lanham, MD: University Press of America. (2001)
- No One To Waste: A Report to Public Decision-Makers and Community College Leaders, by Robert H. McCabe (Community College Press, 2000, ISBN 0-87117-330-1)
- Developmental Education: A Twenty-First Century Social and Economic Imperative, by the League for Innovation in the Community College (copies are available for $15 from the League at http://www.league.org/ or (949) 367-2884)
- In Pursuit of Excellence: The Community College of Denver, by John E. Roueche, Eileen E. Ely, and Suanne D. Roueche (Community College Press, 2001, ISBN 0-87117-341-7)
NADE Digest, Fall – 2016
“The New (Old) NADE”
- A Position Paper by the Executive Board on the State of the Association
Chronicle of Higher Education
- Remedial Educators Warn of
Misconceptions Fueling a Reform Movement
NADE Executive Board comment on the Higher Education Reauthorization Act
Journal of Developmental Education Outstanding Articles:
- Addressing Flawed Research in
- Effective Student Assessment and Placement: Challenges and Recommendations
The College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) is pleased to announce that our second white paper, Assessment of Learning Assistance Programs is now available online for free download.
The Terrain of College Reading (CRLA Whitepaper)
A Common Framework for Remedial Reporting: Response to Remedial Reporting Task Force Recommendations. Download PDF.
A Cure for Remedial Reporting Chaos: Why the U.S. Needs a Standard Method for Measuring Preparedness for the First Year of College. Download PDF
Previous postings are here.
Be Sure to Check Out
Donate to NADE. Help NADE continue its good work on behalf of developmental students. NADE is on the IRS list, "Exempt Organizations Select Check," as "eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions." Make your donation here. Thank you!
Certification. The program components eligible for certification are Tutoring Services, Course-based Learning Assistance, and Developmental Coursework. Learn more...